Up your breakfast game with these quick, easy cranberry orange scones. Use Sealtest 14% Sour Cream for a velvety touch.
- 625 mL (2½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 80 mL (⅓ cup) granulated sugar
- 5 mL (1 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 1.25 mL (¼ tsp) baking soda
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) orange zest, grated
- 125 mL (½ cup) Natrel Butter, cold
- 125 mL (½ cup) dried cranberries
- 1 egg
- 125 mL (½ cup) Sealtest 14% Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- In mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and orange zest. Stir to blend. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or two knives) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cranberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and Sealtest 14% Sour Cream together until smooth. Add to the flour mixture, mixing until the dough clumps together. Use your hands to press the dough together against the bowl to form a ball.
- Pat into an 18-cm (7-in.) circle, about 2 cm (¾ in.) thick.
- Cut the circle into 8 wedges. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes or until light golden. Cool for 5 minutes, and then serve warm or at room temperature.
For an attractive finish, sprinkle the dough with a little sugar before baking. Try replacing the cranberries with raisins, chopped dates, apricots or dried cherries. Try replacing the orange zest with lemon zest.